Wednesday, September 13, 2006

emotional rollercoaster

I've never been so miserable, nor so happy, in my whole life. Teaching English is so terrifying sometimes its not funny--talk about baptism by fire! You're thrown into teaching 23 hours a week with little to no idea what you're doing. Everyday I walk into class terrified that I'll never make it through. Honestly, I don't know that I can survive it. I keep bursting into tears I'm so overwhelmed, and I barely can get any sleep so I'm working off 6 hours a night, which for anyone who knows me knows is not nearly enough.

And then there's John, who alleviates and excerbates the problem. I fear all I do now is complain to him and weep periodically, and he's so kind about it but I think he's grown weary of the whole thing. What is wrong with me? And then I don't get any sleep because I'm spending too much time with him, taking $20 cab rides home at 2 in the morning...but its the only time I don't feel like I just want to give up! oh, what will I do? I don't think I'll survive this...

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Well, exciting and dreadful is better than complacent, right? Maybe? Look, if I know you, you are a fine teacher and you want to be perfect and worry the details to death. Or maybe you are not a fine teacher yet, but you will grow into it more and more, I'm sure. Just put it into perspective before you get up there -- and I am not trying to belittle your current vocation or problems -- but if these people have one so-so english lesson, it is not the end of the world! Presumably, they will not form an angry mob.

8:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may or may not be appropriate.

Emotional Rollercoaster
Click, click, click,
click, click, click,
click, click, click,
Ulp
"¡Oh my gooooooooooooo-"
WhooooooooOOOOoooooh
WhooAooAh
WhooAooAh
Yeeeeeeee!
click, click, click,
WhooooooOOOoooOOOOooooh
Fwwoomf!
-Barf-
.
.
.
Awesome!
Let's do that again!

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Craig Morgan Teicher said...

Hey T,

I don't really have an inspiring thing to say, other than to say empathetically that it's real hard. But I'm very happy for you that you met someone. I think it feels good, when starting a new life in a new place, to start with a new person, too. You're missed here at the office.

9:15 AM

 
Blogger Boulos said...

Wow Tanio, I leave for 5 days, and you are off and running with a brand new set of joys and pain! Alright- I agree w/ the wife, that you are most likely an excellent teacher and are overthinking the whole thing, and if not, at least you care enough to try and get better. You are trying, and working towards it, and from what it seems, I doubt that your new John (I hope that doesn't sound like you're a hooker, and he's your trick... ahaha) really minds your venting. Oh Tanio! BTW- if John is making you happy, then that is all that matters re: the old mistakes vs. new adventures debate. Hang in there, the emotional rollercoaster is the best kind to be on, as it makes you truly feel alive!!

9:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home